The Concept

Social networking, leadership, & business strategies on a fundamental level, hand delivered with an edge. (With a heaping side of whatever I find interesting!)

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sharks Find A Way To Catch Their Prey

I had a conversation with Sam Falletta, the President and Chief Results Officer for Incept, the company I work for sometime last week. (Having productive conversations is what we do best ;-) at Incept) The basis of the conversation was me asking for help with a communication problem I was having. Long story made short, I had a problem with how to approach someone above me in the company with a problem I foresaw and how I felt to best approach it. (I'm a firm believer in always having an idea of how to fix something before you start complaining about it.)

I told Sam something along the lines of how I'm a "Shark personality type." Meaning if you put me in a situation where I can get things done, be sure to get out of my way, or I'll work straight around you to get to the best results possible! I thrive on clearing things off of my to do list at work. Put simply, I attack things in front of me to get to the best results I can. (I should note that this isn't always the best way to do things. Often times I need Sam, or someone else above me to wrangle me a little and make sure I'm doing things the best way possible, logistically that is.)

What Sam told me took a few days to really sink all the way in. But I absorbed the bulk of it pretty quickly. He looked me square in the eyes and said, "Sharks always find a way to catch their prey Steve."

Think about it for the next ten seconds as I did standing there in his office, mute & blinking at him. [count to 10 slowly then continue!] He smiled a wide grin and I walked out of his office. A few days latter I dove straight into the fish tank, attacked my prey head on, and the results were WAY more than I ever could have wished for.

So I ask you this, do you dive straight into the tank when life throws prey faster than you are into your path? Or do you give up, and go in search of an easier meal? I know which one I'd do.... (I don't like giving up.....)

And by the way, TGIF!
Signing off for the work week....

~Stephen~

No comments:

Post a Comment