The Concept

Social networking, leadership, & business strategies on a fundamental level, hand delivered with an edge. (With a heaping side of whatever I find interesting!)

Sunday, April 11, 2010

My Trip To Gorge Metro Park

Today I took a trip to Gorge Metro Park here in summit county. http://ow.ly/1xd2u It was a refreshing dose of nature smack in the middle of my busy world. For those of you unfamiliar with "The Gorge" it's a deep canyon carved out by the Cuyahoga River. There's hiking, fishing in the small reservoir above the waterfall, lots of small rock formations to free climb, and some cool caves. But most of all, it was just beautiful.... for an hour or two I got to escape the city and just enjoy nature.
I started off by checking out the fishing pier above the falls, I met a nice gentleman there named Dave, who I taught a thing or two about fishing with his dads old tackle box full of goodies I was really wishing I could make a cash offer for. I talked to him for about 30mins, and I was repayed by him getting a little weird on me and giving me "Repent before the end" reading material (Side note, according to Dave, the world is going to end on..... you'd think I'd tell you the whole Nostradamus 2012 things.... but no, the world will end on May 21, 2011 exactly 1 week after me & Beth are set to get married) Weirded out a little, I just let it go, and thanked Dave for the conversation and said goodbye.

Started hiking the trail system, walked down the big wooden steps, and stared for a few minutes at the waterfall and then explored the trails along the river. Forty minutes later I turned the half way marker and decided to double my pace for a workout. I climbed rocks, I jumped ledges, I had fun! And the entire time, I never once thought about the fact that a few hundred feet above me on either side of the gorge walls was the bustling cities of Akron and Cuyahoga Falls.

It was escape! Not only is it a great place to take in the sights, but a great workout environment. I'm starting to exercise more, and today I found a few great spots. The trail is rough, but can be managed at a quick jog as long as there's minimal traffic in your way. The steps are plenty and step. And the rock formations are awesome! I can't wait to free climb them after a brisk jog later this spring. All this, in the middle of the city where you'd least expect it if you didn't know to look.
Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment