I'd like to dedicate some time here to talking about a speaker who I was expecting little out of, but I was blown away by him, Head Coach of the Cleveland Browns, Eric Mangini. Mangini spoke a lot about motivating a team and leading them to success. He used a lot of quotes that I really liked, I'm just going to throw them all down at once here.
- "Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling."
- "Discipline isn't something you do to somebody, it's something you do for somebody."
- "Every battle is won before it's fought."
- "Each day you must choose, the pain of discipline or the pain of regret."
- "The willingness to succeed is nothing without the willingness to prepare."
- "Everybody has the capacity to lead in their own way."
- The core values the applies to coaching the Browns: Communication, Focus, Finish, & Trust
- "...each day they (referring to his players) get to write whats on 'their label'."
I have to say that I was really impressed with Mangini as a speaker, he shared some highly insightful information and I think I walked away from his segment with more information in my notepad than any other speaker!